Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Beading in Budapest

I'm a beader...so it's natural that I would find beading shops in Budapest. I enjoyed all of them for different reasons.

1.  This one is close to Nyugati Train Station, one street back from the Korut: VI. Jokai U. 5





It appeared that they offer classes and they are the largest store devoted exclusively to beading that I found.




Most of the beads are ones you could find in the U.S.--many made in China. They are sold in bags or in jars on tables. Since I buy most of my beads when they are on sale for half-price or I buy at bead shows, they were more expensive, but there were still many worth buying...and I did!








2. This second shop called Beadshow is not far from the Margit Bridge: Pannonia Utca 33




At first I thought it was a jewelry store, but a quick look inside showed a tidy arrangements of beads. Although it is a small shop, there was a nice selection. I found a few types of beads I was not familiar with and a few I was and I bought those above for the equivalent of $5.50. These were all priced separately ranging from 20-125 forint each (approx. 10-67 cents).

  
3.  Tuzgyongy Bead Store 1068 Budapest, Király u. 76. (Tel.: 061/ 351-8949)

This bead shop is small but has as many beads as larger stores due to unique storage racks that pull out from the display tables.


They also have a huge selection of hand made jewelry at reasonable prices.



I bought these items on my first trip (the prices in forint are visible).  The pink and off white squares are wood. The others are glass.  With two packs of the latches, my total cost of this visit: 540 forint--about $2.50 at the current exchange rate (215 forint to the dollar).



I was happy to find these particular necklace latches. I bought a necklace at a crafts fair in Budapest several years ago with this kind of latch and I like how it works...safe but small and easy to use. They cost 90 forint for 3, making them about 15 cents each.

There are also two good shops for beads on Üllői út.

4.  Gyöngy Outlet. this shop is relatively small but well-stocked. It's several blocks from Kalvin Ter and I think the address is Ulloi ut 16. It's at least in that vacinity.




The day I went, I can't say I noticed outlet prices, but the prices were good and the hippy-looking manager was friendly. I bought leather and a few beads.




5.  Kreativ Hobby 
Ulloi 18, close to the shop above.

It's one of the largest craft shops I've found in Budapest. 
As you enter, if you turn to the right, there's a whole room of beads, findings, and wire. 

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for nice post and especially for the addresses! Today I am gonna try To find some of the places.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks - just want to let you know your post is seen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm afraid some of these shops have gone out of business since I wrote this post in 2011, but the one on Király u. 76 is still there and still one of my favorites.
    Gail

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...