Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Auchan in Budapest--Savoya Park Mall


Auchan might best be described as the French equivalent of Walmart. I think their clothes are a lower quality than Walmart and their other items--housewares, electronics, toys, paper goods, etc. dip into the low end more than Walmart, but they also carry quality electronics and housewares. 



When I'm in Budapest, I typically use Auchan for a weekly grocery trip, although I rarely get their produce which is often inferior...hit and miss.  Their lean ground beef is the best I've found (See The Hungarian Grocery Store post from 2009), and usually their breads are really delicious and inexpensive.


However, on my most recent shopping trip, I was very disappointed in the pogacsa I bought...instead of crunchy on the outside and light inside, it was more like a roll.  (Hungarian pogacsa closely resemble an American biscuit...not an English biscuit, which is a cookie, but an American breakfast biscuit like the kind you use to sop up country gravy.) Previously, I would recommend Auchan's pogacsas as some of the best, especially because they usually cost about 25 cents.  But the Turos pillow I bought didn't disappoint me...it was great as usual. It's a light pastry similar to a croissant filled with sweetened cottage cheese past and 3-4 light raisins per pillow. This cottage cheese paste is a favorite in Hungary and really good...similar to cream cheese filling but with more nutrition and fewer calories. If you don't like raisins, there are only a few to pick out.

This huge loaf of bread (close to my husband's hand) cost the equivalent of $4.

Be prepared that most of their bread items are not packaged, and not everyone used a plastic bag to handle them like I do.

For those without a car....like me...you can get to an Auchan by riding the #18 tram to Savoya Park...the end of that line.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...