Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Beauty Shops and Barber Shops

Picture to the left: at my favorite beauty shop

Beauty shop:
fodrászat or szépség szalon

Buyer Beware: If you go to a beauty shop in the touristy sections of Budapest, expect to pay as much or more than you do back home. The Gellert Hotel beauty shop charged approximately $50 for a hair cut last time I checked.

Go Where the Common People Go. However, if you are willing to be a bit adventurous and try one of the places where the locals go, you can get a nice haircut for $10-20. I have my hair cut and highlighted for less than $35, but my beautician can't speak a word of English (not even "yes") or at least he isn't letting on if he can! His shop is also a bit messy, and I've not checked to see how he sterilizes his equipment, but I'm always satisfied with his work.

The Hair Washing Lady. One tradition you should be aware of is the division of labor in most Hungarian beauty shops: the person who cuts your hair is not the same person who washes it. And the lady who washes will expect to be paid when she finishes the wash. Her fee will vary from $2-3, and it's always nice to throw in a little tip. I also tip my hair dresser 10--15%.

Barber Shops. My husband usually came along when I had my hair cut and got his cut for about $12 by my beautician, but there are many barber shops throughout the city charging about $10. Again, you should expect inflated prices in the touristy areas, and don't be surprised if you are charged more than a Hungarian friend who uses the same shop--some shops have a dual pricing system. Upon hearing of this dual pricing system, I once remarked to a Hungarian, "Not all Americans are rich, you know." And she responded by saying, "And not all Hungarians are poor!" However, this dual pricing system still exists in some businesses offering services and sometimes with dentists and doctors.

2 comments:

  1. Great info - customs can be so different around the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's nice to have a little understanding before trying out a shop.
      Gail

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...